CAREER OPPORTUNITY - Principal
Principal - Required for April 2019 or earlier if possible
GEMS Education has a global network of world class international schools. With more than 55 years of experience, GEMS Education is committed to improving the quality of education worldwide. Every day, we have the privilege of educating over 190,000 students from over 176 countries through GEMS owned and managed schools globally; over 270,000 students access resources through our services division; and we impact 1.4 million students through the initiatives of our charity partner the Varkey Foundation.
The GEMS approach to learning is one which focuses not only on academic excellence but also in helping students develop their character, creativity, values, personal leadership and the spirit of enterprise necessary for them to achieve their full potential as global citizens and leaders of the future.
Cambridge International School, Kampala is one of two GEMS international premium schools in Africa, providing the highest quality education and enabling its young people to discover and develop their potential in all areas. The school currently has 372 students from Pre Foundation Stage (2.5 years) to year 13, with 44 boarders. The school is growing and at full capacity will have over 800 students and 150 boarders. At our tranquil campus in Luzira we are passionate about offering every student the best possible chance to succeed and discover their true potential.
- In academic excellence delivered by exceptional teachers,
- That outstanding early years education gives students a strong head start,
- In helping young people develop confidence, initiative and independence,
- That the use of powerful classroom technology enriches and supports learning, and
- Strong relationships with parents is key to a child’s success.
We are seeking to appoint an inspiring and highly visible Principal with the drive and vision to lead this growing school.
As an outstanding leader you will have:
- educational expertise and a proven track record of developing and sustaining very high standards;
- excellent communication skills and an ability to create an exciting learning community that will motivate and inspire students;
- the ability to provide strategic direction and set expectations by communicating goals clearly and empowering collaboration in your staff body;
- successful and demonstrable experience of parental engagement and evidence of creating community partnerships that enhance learning;
- a cultural understanding and willingness to become part of the growing community.
You will have also demonstrated a successful track record of student achievement and attainment in a National Curriculum for England School. Experience of international education or working in Africa would be desirable but not essential.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
To develop and implement the educational strategy for the school and provide operational leadership in order to achieve or exceed the school’s objectives aligned with GEMS vision, mission & core values.
- Vision, Mission and Education Strategy: Establish the vision, mission and education strategy for the school and systemically implement long term plans in order to accomplish this within fixed timelines.
- Core Values: Ensure that Core Values are embedded and lived, in order to build a consistent and distinctive value framework for educating students.
- School Plans and Budget: Develop annual operational plans and budgets for the school in line with the long term plans, in order to realise the long term strategy, ensure schools are optimally staffed to deliver the schools business objectives of revenue and profit and improve school standards.
- Operational Leadership: Provide professional leadership in terms of curriculum development in order to deliver consistently high standards of education.
- Promotion and marketing: In liaison the marketing team produce a clear marketing strategy and plan for the promotion of the school. Undertaking parent and stakeholder marketing visits and events to secure enrolments.
- Academic Performance Management: Ensure high quality performance measurement for each school student in order to raise the standard of academic achievement, and improve the quality of teaching and learning.
- Compliance/inspection/accreditation: Ensure the school enjoys productive relationships with regulatory authorities and undertakes ongoing evaluation and implements systems and practices to ensure the school meets Global benchmarks and requirements set out by regulatory authorities and the GEMS Head office.
- Pastoral Care: Create and foster a culture of Pastoral care at every level with respect to teachers & students and promote responsible stewardship in order to ensure that the educational objectives are delivered and the morale of the school community is maintained to expected standards.
- Performance Management: Ensure that well developed performance management systems are properly implemented within the school to track the performance of teachers, admin and support staff in order to maintain and enhance expected achievement standards of school performance.
- School Procedures and Processes: Establish education and administration procedures and processes in order to facilitate the school strategy effectively and efficiently and implement all standard operating procedures as identified by GEMS Corporate Office.
- Development of the Whole Personality: Ensure that the school experience is designed and enriched to promote the comprehensive, balanced and value based development of each student.
- Relationship Management: Establish and maintain good customer relationship between, students and teachers, parents and teachers, school and the community, in order to widen the educational horizons of students, build good community relations and favourably project the image of the school.
- Resource Management: Effectively utilise and manage all resources including staff, equipment and infrastructure in order to run a cost-effective business unit
- Human Resource Development: Ensure that the school is staffed with high calibre professionals who are motivated, trained, developed, engaged and retained to deliver the school’s education and business objectives. Participate in the selection of teaching, admin and support staff and organise appropriate induction and training to enhance effectiveness.
- School Information System: Ensure that all vital information about the school and academic achievements are captured and reported to the corporate office so that timely and appropriate management decisions are taken.
- School Administration: Effectively and smoothly administer all support facilities such as transport, health services, maintenance and infrastructure in order to ensure an efficient and well run school.
- Feedback to Parents and Students: Provide parents with timely feedback about the academic and general progress of their children in order to create a partnership to ensure students’ growth and progress. Organise parent-teacher meetings. Provide students with feedback on their strengths and performance improvement needs so they can monitor their own progress. Promote GEMS parental engagement strategy. Maintain appropriate records for this purpose.
- Operations: Ensure the Academy policies, procedures, and codes of conduct are followed at all times.
- Initiate effort and energy beyond the typical work day, where the tasks require additional commitment.
- Perform other duties as requested by direct or dotted reporting line managers/supervisors
Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) - Measurable
- Enrolment of students in school and optimum utilisation of school facilities.
- Customer satisfaction with the delivery of education offered.
- Achievement of profit and revenue targets.
- Meeting the quality and performance standards set for schools.
- Staff satisfaction and morale.
KNOWLEDGE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- BA degree in Education and 5 years teaching experience including experience in school administration or First degree, supported by a degree or recognized certificate/diploma in education or education management.
- Good practical and personal knowledge of schools, education systems, qualifications and assessment practices, innovations in curriculum and teaching practice and educational leadership.
- An understanding of the importance of the culture and ethos of a school in securing high standards, and of strategies for improving these.
- A master’s degree or higher degree in education or education management
- Successful experience as a leader and manager in a relevant or similar education setting, curricula and system, in a progressive and reputed school(s).
- Experience of managing and using pupil attainment data and tracking databases to raise standards.
- Experience of improving the quality of teaching and learning, through processes of monitoring and support.
- Familiarity and expertise in quality assurance and inspection regimes (similar to NEASC/IS, ADEC, KHDA, OFSTED).
- Experience of successfully initiating and implementing strategies to improve parental engagement in their child’s learning
- At least 10 years in education, plus 5 years in a Senior Educational Leadership role preferably as Head of School/Principal.
SKILLS AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
- Have the ability to think and act in a strategic way whilst maintaining a focus on academic rigour and quality.
- Skilled in networking and able to market the school effectively to parents and the target community.
- Have good analytical skills, being able to synthesise complex information, summarise and draw appropriate conclusions and make decisions.
- Have the ability to understand, interpret and present school performance and financial data to all stakeholders.
- Have the confidence, sensitivity and resilience to both inspire and celebrate high performance and to constructively challenge under performance in any aspect of school life.
- Have the ability to maintain emotional equilibrium in light of professional pressures and deadlines.
For more information about the school please visit our website: http://www.gemseducation.co.ug/
If you believe that you can make a difference and continue the success of this school then we would like to hear from you, please send a CV and letter of application stating why you have the knowledge, skills and experience to lead this school, to Danielle West at email@example.com.
Closing date: Monday 24th September 2018. Any applications received prior to this date will be followed up immediately.